Thursday, September 11, 2008

Humanity

It was a particularly rainy day at Madurai.  It rained cats and dogs for the last saturday and sunday and there was flooding every where, except my locality.  On Monday as per the urge of surging testoserone in blood and the bravado attached to youth, I decided to take a bus to my college without heeding to my mom's word.  Every thing was alright until six kms.   After 6 kms, I saw no bus has been coming from the opposite direction of our travel. My inner feeling told that something was wrong.  The Bus was travelling comfortably.  After sometime I noticed that no vehicles were coming from behind us.  After 8 kms, there was a huge traffic jam and no vehicle was moving.  People were talking that the bridge that connect madurai with other parts of northern Tamil nadu was overflowing.  Mentally I decided that it was not possible to reach my college.  So, I planned to return home.  That was when I heard people saying that a lake which was adjacent to the highway was breaching.  As on que, the force of already running water started to increase.  I panicked.  People started walking back in the way in which our bus came. I also joined them.  All the time the water level was raising and force of it increased.  Since, I am polio attacked in one leg I had strength only in one leg and it was very difficult for me to brave those waters.  I was almost at the verge of quitting the struggle to walk in those gusghing waters and was ready to be swept by those waters.  Just then, I heard a voice saying that "we will hold you, Don't worry!'. I turned up to see a person who seems to be a typical metro person.  He again put his arms under my shoulders and lifted me with the help of three of his friends.  Thus I was lifted above the water.  They carried me like this for three kilometers after which they bring me to the safety  of Meenakshi Missin Hospital.  They told me to wait there till the waters recede and offered me money for buying some thing at the canteen.  I politely turned down their request and asked who they are.  They said that all of them are Doctors working there at Meenakshi Mission Hospital.  They immediately went to attend the patients who are waiting to be treated.  That Day I realised that the world cared for me.  From that Day I started concentrating more on my studies

1 comment:

Milinta said...

Welcome!!
A good start... but please don't lose the momentum.. keep blogging!! waiting to read more :) :)